2011 marked over Ninety years of service to the Portland community by the Portland Area Chamber of Commerce.
When the Chamber began in 1916, it was known as the Commercial Club. The 1920's brought a name change from the Commercial Club to the Board of Commerce, providing services ranging from Night Watchmen for downtown businesses to concerts that helped promote shopping. The Chamber was also known for purchasing instruments and uniforms for the Portland School Band.
The Community Chest got it's start from the Board of Commerce Directors who established by-laws for the Community Chest in the late 1930's.
The Board of Commerce continued and in the early 1960's became known as the Portland Area Chamber of Commerce for which it stands today. The 1970's brought Light-up Portland campaigns, retail promotions and a joint venture with the City of Portland formed Burman Square for additional parking in the downtown area.
In years past the location of the chamber was always located in the Director's home or a Chamber member's place of business. 1993 started with a new location for the Chamber with it's office then being located at the Old Iron Bridge Professional Building. There was an Executive Manager whose duty was to oversee daily operations and a group of volunteer's on staff to give assistance.
The Chamber is committed to the Portland community along with surrounding areas and will continue to grow and service it's Business and Individual Member community.
Portland Area Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 303
Portland, Michigan 48875
|Sign up for Email Updates|
March 22, 2018
VFW Post 4090
July 3rd - Fireworks at dusk.
July 4th - Parade at 10:00 a.m.
Cancelled for 2018
Breakfast With Santa:Dec. 8, 2018
Monday, Jan. 14, 2019